We thank you for the great
legacy "The Young Men's Christian Association". As its members, we pray that our
vision may be renewed so that we may seek to unite all young men who regard
Jesus Christ as their God and Saviour.
While we are working for the
development of body, mind and spirit, help us to associate our efforts for the
extension of your kingdom. Give us vision along with faith, modesty along with
steadfast ness, vigorousness along with enthusiasm so that we may work for a new
truth, justice and love.
We pray for the YMCA's all over the world. Oh God, transform us into strong
links of a strong chain.
YMCA Road, Chinnakkada,
HISTORY OF YMCA
The Young Menís Christian Association was founded
in London (England) on June 6th 1844 in response to unhealthy Social conditions arising
in the cities due to the industrial revolution. Sir George Williams a God inspired business man
seriously responded to take care of the spiritual and human needs of young people
who were worked in the oppressive conditions of Britton.
YMCA Kollam was started on 4th February
1924 in a rented room in the upstairs of a small building in Chinnakkada, heart of the town.
The first president was Mr. Mackei M.L.C.
The Association was shifted to the present plot
which was secured from the Travancore Government through the efforts of Mr. John during 1928-í32.
With wholehearted support of YMCA members and
Public, a small building was put up and started a small hostel for working young men. Adequate
funds raised from the public and a row of four rooms, which could accommodate 8 persons, was
built. In addition that three more rooms to the old row of rooms, a kitchen, mess facilities
were completed with the enormous support of public and with the financial aid of US $ 15500/-
from the buildings for the brotherhood programs of the international committee. The work of the
main building was completed and was opened on 7-5-1966 by Mr. Pattom A.
Thanupillai, the then
Governor of Andrapradesh.
On 11th September 1975 the first floor
of the golden jubilee building was inaugurated by Mr. K.M. Philip, the then president of world
Alliance of YMCAs.
A plot of 2.72 acres land in Pullichira was purchased
on 1998 for community development project. With a view to empower the under privileged Youth, YMCA
started a Community College their in 2004Considering the enormous demand for the hostel rooms
in Kollam, YMCA started its first branch at Karicode in a rented building in 2005. The branch was
inaugurated by Hon,ble Mr. Justice J.B. Koshy, Kerala High Court Judge. In 2007 YMCA started its
International Guest House which was inaugurated by Rev. Samuel D. Stephens, Deputy President,
World Alliance of YMCAs.
Kindly Pray and Praise God for
Pray & Participate